Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Giant Rocks

Everywhere young women (not much older than I) wear enormous diamond engagement rings on their left hands. I see these glistening, multi-carat diamonds and doubt that anyone will ever love me enough to give me a beautiful ring. Not that I would want such an extravagance predicated on the horrendous mining industry; I would rather have an engagement piano.
Perhaps I am feeling nostalgic after reading Atonement.

I am a sucker for the sweeping romance of the star-crossed-lovers variety.

For example, in Atonement, Robbie is a British soldier in France fighting the Nazis. He and Cecilia have been in love for four years but separated by cruel misfortune. Their romance is carried out through longterm correspondence as illustrated below:

Robbie Turner: [voiceover] Dearest Cecilia, the story can resume. The one I had been planning on that evening walk. I can become again the man who once crossed the Surrey park at dusk, in my best suit, swaggering on the promise of life. The man who, with the clarity of passion, made love to you in the library. The story can resume. I will return. Find you, love you, marry you and live without shame.

Gosh those last lines really get to me. Robbie knows what he wants - to marry the woman he loves. No commitment-phobia, no shilly-shallying, and no hesitation. Remarkable.

Earlier in the film, Cecilia realizes her antagonism toward Robbie is really the frustration of thwarted love. When she discovers this she says to him in the library:

Cecilia Tallis
: [crying] I don't know how I could've been so ignorant about myself... so... so stupid. And you know what I'm talking about, don't you? You knew before I did. Robbie Turner: Why're you crying? Cecilia Tallis: Don't you know?
Robbie Turner
: Yes, I know exactly. [kisses her]

When people/lovers can understand each other without words...that is truly beautiful. Blast. Think I'll go smoke an imaginary cigarette.


No comments: