Thursday, June 12, 2008

Great Songs: Anyone Else But You

Hello Friends,

Today I was listening to the song "Anyone Else But You" from the Juno Soundtrack. The version performed at the end of the film by Michael Cera and Ellen Page has the following lyrics:

You’re a part time lover and a full time friend
The monkey on your back is the latest trend
I don’t see what anyone can see, in anyone else
But you
Here is the church and here is the steeple
We sure are cute for two ugly people
I don't see what anyone can see, in anyone else
But you
We both have shiny happy fits of rage
I want more fans, you want more stage
I don't see what anyone can see, in anyone else
But you
You are always trying to keep it real
I'm in love with how you feel
I don't see what anyone can see, in anyone else
But you
I kiss you on the brain in the shadow of a train
I kiss you all starry eyed, my body's swinging from side to side
I don't see what anyone can see, in anyone else
But you



The part I really like is "you're a part time lover and a full time friend" because that is my ideal dynamic in a relationship. The friendship has to be the strongest, the basis of it all, but one still needs the kiss/romance part.

I guess I feel most comfortable wearing the two hats of lover/friend and seamlessly switching between the two. Perhaps that is my shyness but it really seems to work best for me.
I really don't like the idea of becoming a woman who gives up her life and interests to center herself around a man. Sounds sad and dull, doesn't it?

I also like the line We sure are cute for two ugly people because it suggests the redeeming, transformative power of love. Love really removes the focus from oneself to another human being and that has the power to change a person beyond all expectations. Like when a parent holds a newborn baby for the first time and feels all petty irritations melt away in the realization that this tiny being is their reason for life.

I really think that saddest thing is to feel separated from love, because that is to be separated from God. And to be separated from God/Love is what the Bible means by "hell."

On an unrelated note, I would take a bullet for Barack Obama.

No comments: