Sunday, July 13, 2008

None More Black

When you think things can be none more black then it is time to turn to the oracle for guidance. I am, of course, referring to the mightiest goddess of all, Oprah. Today I received divine inspiration from an article in the Reader about a woman trying to "live Oprah" for a year, i.e. to follow all of Oprah's advice and basically let Oprah think for her. While I won't go that far (can't afford it, and Oprah recommends a lot of awful movies) I will be following all the magazine suggestions for "cultivating wellness" and see if it doesn't make a difference.
My current goal is to do five things a day to boost happiness from the "Stress Reducation Techniques" worksheet that I got in college. There are about 50 suggestions. Let's see what works for tomorrow.....
1. "Relax your standards. Consider the true consequences of your actions. For every one thing that goes wrong, there are probably ten, fifty or 100 things going right in your life. Count them!"
Will do tomorrow.
2. "Simplify, simplify, simplify" I hope that translates into going through all my papers, drawers, and closet to purge excess debris. Will expand this to include my mother's closet.
3. "Don't put up with something that doesn't work right. If your alarm clock, wallet, shoe laces, windshield wipers, etc. are a constant aggravation get them fixed or get new ones."
Good call. This means that I will have to get rid of many pairs of shoes that are basically unwearable, VHS tapes that we can't play, mp3s that I don't like, buy a sunglasses case, and a new purse. hmmmm
4. "Get enough sleep. Use an alarm clock to remind you to go to bed."
I always thought this was a good one but for some reason never implemented it. Tonight! There done.
5. "If an especially unpleasant task faces you, do it early in the day and get it over with. Then, the rest of the day will be free of anxiety." Hmm...that is already going to happen. First thing in the morning is therapy which will inevitably include details of my disastrous dating days. Yucko. But I can, for example, make my to-do list for the week. I need to start that tonight actually.
Okay dears, I must go. 15 minutes until the alarm goes off for bedtime. Sweet dreams, cheerio.

ps - I hate the term "wellness". So nouveau.

No comments: