Saturday, March 7, 2009

RIP Paul

From left to right: Leon, Hugh, Dwight, Donna, Coloma and Paul Glenn. c. 1918


Paul Stanley Glenn died this morning at 5:35 a.m. He was 95 years old - so he had as long a life as anyone can ask for. He was in a lot of pain, though and it sounds like death did not come easily.
I will miss him. I will miss his link to the past - he is the last of the generation that saw two world wars, the Great Depression, the Dust Bowl, and the decimation of hegemonic white patriarchy. Apparently, he was rather cantankerous and gave his wife a hard time. I remember him as a jeweler (and I loved jewelry!), an old man with a big heart for his grand-nieces, and a gardener/apiarist.
I just feel so sad. I wish I could go to the funeral. He and my grandma were close and whenever I visited her (which I did at least once a year) we would usually visit Paul and Margaret in their home in Golden, CO. He is another lost link to my grandmother. sigh.
The funeral will be next Saturday. I send my love out into the universe, hopefully it will reach him somewhere. Hopefully he is near my grandmother now.

No comments: